Garage Sale, Yard Sale, Block Sale, et al
Griffith residents, institutions and charitable groups can utilize "garage sales", "yard sales", "block sales", et al to dispose of items which are no longer needed as well as for fund raising purposes. Griffith Ordinance 2001-6 covers these types of sales, and that ordinance reads as follows: a resident or institution shall be allowed to hold no more than two (2) sales on the premises for no more than three (3) consecutive days per sale, in any calendar year. Signage of sale shall be limited to one accessory sign not to exceed nine (9) square feet in size, and shall not be displayed until the day of sale and removed upon expiration of sale permit. A permit is required for each sale. You can obtain the permit at the Town Hall and there is no charge/fee for the permit. You are not allowed to post yard sale/garage sale signs on other property.
A summary of the ordinance follows:
- You must obtain a permit from the Town (which is free)
- No more than two sales are allowed in a calendar year
- The sale event can last no longer than three consecutive calendar days
- You may post one sign on your property
- The sign can be no larger than nine square feet in size
- You are NOT to post signs or notices on other property (such as signs nailed to telephone/utility poles, or signs placed on street corners or in parkways between the street and sidewalk)
An example of the (free) permit is shown below. You may obtain this permit by stopping at the Town Hall during normal business hours:
111 North Broad Street, Griffith, Indiana 46319
Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.,
and Tuesday evenings until 7:00 p.m.