UPDATE: FEMA has finalized the new floodplain mapping for the Cady Marsh Ditch area. The Letter of Final Determination and Updated Griffith Floodplain Map are available for download on this page. These documents can be presented to your mortgage company or lender for their review and evaluation. If you have any questions, please complete the form at the bottom of this page.
The Town of Griffith has been working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to revise the floodplain map for Cady Marsh Ditch and adjacent neighborhoods. Through this effort several homes will be immediately removed from the floodplain. This will help alleviate the burden of flood insurance premiums for many of the Town's residents. FEMA will publish the new floodplain map sometime later this year. Once complete, the new floodplain mapping will be made available on this website.
The purpose of this page is to keep homeowners and businesses informed regarding the status of the floodplain and flooding concerns within the Town of Griffith. While many homes and businesses will be immediately removed from the floodplain, others, including some that do not experience flooding, may not. To address those locations that remain in the floodplain, the Town is working diligently on a number of strategies to improve the circumstances for those homes and businesses. To date these include:
- Hosting public meetings to keep homeowners and businesses informed;
- Completion of a FEMA Community Assistance Visit;
- Griffith will complete field research to determine whether homes located at the limits of the floodplain can be removed;
- Developing a floodplain inquiry system to answer resident questions via email;
- Working on improved floodplain modeling to remove additional homes from the floodplain;
- Griffith intends to submit an application for the Community Rating System FEMA in 2016. Successful entry into this program will reduce insurance premiums several hundred dollars.
If you would like to know if your home or business is currently within the floodplain or have any questions related to the floodplain, please fill out the below form. Our consultants will review your form and email you back within 5 business days.